My Soccer Dad journey started back in 2011 when my son was just 6 years old. He has just entered the “Golden Years” of football having just turned 9. The Journey so far has been very enjoyable, I have seen Sean progress consistently over the years. He has progressed from playing at:-
- Local Club (Social level),
- Local Club (Division 1 ),
- Most recently a player enrolled in a National Programme – SAP U9 | U10 | U11 | U12,
- Youth League U13 – NPL2
I do not take any credit for his success but I have contributed by:
- being engaged with his sport and
- more importantly not getting in his way – I will explain later in this blog.
I want to share my experiences as a Soccer Dad, so I created this blog aimed at newbie Soccer Dads (and Mums). Soccer is a very enjoyable sport and participation has definitely created another level of connection between my son and me.
But it all could have gone pear-shaped because I was doing the wrong things, I was too pushy in the wrong area;
Soccer became a source of tension instead of enjoyment. I am happy to say that things have totally turned around. We are now working together and spending quality time together every weekend.
I hope you enjoy and get something out of this blog.